The Great Manchester Run will go ahead on Sunday following talks over security after the Manchester Arena attack.
Europe’s largest 10km run had more than 35,000 runners last year and there will also be a half-marathon this time.
“Manchester is a truly resilient city and we look forward to successfully hosting these great sporting events,” city councillor Luthfur Rahman said.
Earlier, Chelsea cancelled their Premier League victory parade, which was due to take place on Sunday.
The club says it would be “inappropriate” with the UK terror threat at its highest level after Monday’s bombing killed 22 people and injured 64.
Thousands expected at Great Run
Greater Manchester Police and the city council had already said athletics’ Great CityGames could take place in Manchester on Friday evening.
Now they have given the go-ahead for the Great Run, with additional security measures expected to be in force.
Rahman, the council’s executive member for culture and leisure, said: “The Great CityGames and Great Manchester Run are two of the real highlights of Manchester’s sporting calendar.
“We know that thousands of Mancunians have been looking forward to taking part, or cheering the athletes on, so I am pleased and proud to confirm that these fantastic events will be held as planned this weekend.”
Olympic long jump champion Greg Rutherford is among those lined up to take part on Friday, with Sunday’s field including Ethiopia’s triple Olympic champions Kenenisa Bekele and Tirunesh Dibaba.
Chelsea call off parade
Chelsea had planned an open-top bus tour with the trophy and hoped to add the FA Cup in Saturday’s final with Arsenal.
The Gunners have also said they will not stage a parade should they win.
A screening of the match at the club’s Emirates Stadium has been cancelled and fans will be given refunds.
Chelsea said players will make a donation to a fund supporting victims of the attack and they will wear black armbands for the final at Wembley, with a minute’s silence beforehand.
“Everyone associated with Chelsea Football Club offers our heartfelt condolences to those affected by Monday’s terror attack in Manchester,” said a club statement.
“Our thoughts go out to all the victims and their families and friends.”
Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said the safety of supporters and staff was paramount and the club had been in close contact with the security services.
“After taking their advice we have reluctantly taken the decision to cancel the screening and potential parade,” he said.
Spectators at all major events can expect to see more armed police and face longer security checks.
Copyright 2017 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.